Monday 18 April 2016

BT Infinity and Netflix on Roku 2 (Error message ui-800-3)

If you're having issues getting your Roku working with Netflix on BT Infinity, it might be worth trying to turn off parental controls.

It appears that BT enforce the use of their own DNS servers which causes issues for the Roku when connecting to Netflix (but strangely things work OK via the app on YouView).

This gave me the error message "Netflix has encountered an error. Retrying in xx seconds. Code: ui-800-3 (%MSL_INTERNAL_CODE%)


When trying to test the connection I got failures acccessing "nw-2-5".



Turning off (and then deleting the settings) parental controls within the "My BT" website fixed things on my Roku 2 (4205E) but I had to wait for a couple of hours after the changes.

Hope this helps somebody!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this article. I've got the exact same error code, but have never enabled BT's Parental Controls. I've tried different DNS settings, resetting Roku, and logging out on all devices, but still no joy. Netflix customer support could only point to some sort of DNS issue and suggested I call BT (which, if you've ever called BT customer support, you'll know is about as helpful as sticking pins in your eyes).

    Will keep hunting for a solution...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried using alternative DNS IP addresses on a different device (such as Google's public DNS service - 8.8.8.8 and
    8.8.4.4 ?) This might help to determine whether BT is preventing you using different DNS services.

    Another idea might be to turn on parental controls within My BT, then off again (and then "delete" the settings, whatever that means).

    Please let us know how you get on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, that fixed it! I tried using alternative DNS servers (which didn't fix the Netflix issue), but BT insists on using its own DNS if you use Parental Controls or BT Protect. I had switched on the latter, so I reverted to BT DNS, disabled BT Protect, enabled BT Parental Controls then immediately disabled it (including choosing 'Delete Settings') as suggested.

    Hey presto, Netflix works once more on my Roku 3. Happy days!

    Thanks for your help :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say thanks to you both - you saved me from what would inevitably have been another painful call to BT "customer service".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem. following advice from other forums I've disabled and deleted parental control on BThub5 yesterday, but still can't connect to Netflix... :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problem with roku 3. switched off and deleted parental control on BThub5, restarted everything but still can't connect to Netflix. mostly showing error nw-2-5 but also nw-8-20. :(

    ReplyDelete